Vacation reading continued...

I am sure you are all just waiting to find out what I read while I was on vacation!

I finished reading, "Bottom of the 33rd: Hope, Redemption, and Baseball's Longest Game" by Dan Barry. What a great read. Even if you don't like baseball or know anythjing about baseball, you could still enjoy this book from a human interest perspective. Sure, it helps to understand terminology such as "ground out to 2nd", "caught looking", and "batter's box", but it isn't necessary. I was pulled in by the telling of people's stories: the batboy, the first-baseman's wife, the kid that made a pact with his dad to stay until the end of the game, no matter what (little did he know). This is what made this book one you didn't want to put down. The Pawtucket Red Sox and the Rochester Red Wings played for 32 innings, until 4:09 a.m. Easter Sunday morning, before the game was mercifully suspended until it could be completed two months later.

I also read "Crunch Time" by Diane Mott Davidson. This is one of a series about a crime-solving caterer! This is, I think, the 15th book in the series. I saw it in one of the little stores at the airport before we left and was ecstatic. I've read all the books in this series. In reality, they kind of make me shake my head. I mean...this woman is a caterer. She lives in small town in Colorado, where apparently someone is murdered every few months, and somehow the caterer knows all these people, some of them quite well. Some of the plot twists and turns just make me shake my head...but, apparently people really do use puppies to smuggle drugs. The books also include recipes...she is a caterer after all. This is a perfect vacation book. You don't mind if it gets wet next to the pool or if you leave it behind on the beach.

On the flight home, I started reading "The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration." It is about the millions of African Americans who migrated from the south to other parts of the county from about 1915 to 1970. It is fascinating and heartbreaking. The true stories of people's lives are so much more rich than what you might find in fiction. This is a book I can't wait to get further into.

Having started on "The Warmth of Other Suns", I find myself less drawn to finishing up the Harry Potter series, but I am still working on that as well.

I'll write more about our vacation soon. It was just fabulous. Warm sun, white sand, fantastic company. We really had a great time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Report from the RNC

I Need a New Word for "Perfect"

You Know He's the One When...