I stayed up past my bedtime last night and finished up Petr. I finally said to myself, "Bah! It doesn't need to be square. It's big enough!" and I did the border and bound off. It's about 41"x31". A nice rectangle.
As I looked at it last night, I thought about what a lovely pattern it is. Simple, but pretty. I like the way the decreases make a nice decorative diagonal line after the yarn-overs. As I looked closer, I thought, "Gee...you really can see where I started up again after not working on this for a year and a half".
At first I thought it might be because the yarn had sat on the needles for so long. The I looked closer and realized that wasn't the case at all.
When I picked this up again, I knew the pattern was something like, K4, YO, K2tog, on and on until you want to poke the knitting needle in your eye. Well, as I looked at it, I realized it must have been K4, YO, SSK. This gave that nice decorative, diagonal line. K2tog just gives a sort of "blah" effect. To a knitters eye, this pops right out. To a non-knitter, I think they'd realize something is not quite right there.
Needless to say, I'm glad to no longer be working on this thing. I won't be ripping back and re-doing this. I might just keep it for myself as a lap blanket. I kind of like it, and I can use to judge just how evil acrylic really is.