Weekend at the Cabin

If you live in Minnesota or grew up here, you know that few things are as quintessentially “summer” as going “to the cabin”, “up north”, or “to the lake” during the summer. Call it what you want, it all means the same thing: escaping the city for the weekend and heading someplace where the pace is a little slower, the breezes a little cooler, and drinking beer all day long is a little more acceptable.

D and I headed to Chippewa Falls, WI for a weekend of doing nothing with many friends, their many children, and a couple dogs. It’s nice to have a weekend where the most difficult decision you make is what kind of chips to buy (Tostitos Hint of Lime) and if you should take a nap before lunch or after (After).

In addition to napping, drinking beer, eating a lot of cheese, and generally being lazy, I kayaked for the first time! I have to say: I loved it. Now I want a kayak. This will be added to the list of “big things” I want, which currently includes a scooter.

People enjoyed themselves tubing, knee boarding, riding on the boat, swimming, playing SuperMarioKart on the Wii and much more. Personally, I rather enjoyed the “Dog vs Man” competition to retrieve the ball thrown in to the lake. I think the dog won…at least once.

While there we celebrated two birthdays…David and Lindsey’s. I made D a cake that looked a little odd.

Apparently, you need more than one tube of frosting to write out “Happy Birthday David”…or perhaps you just need to write smaller. And Katie made a lovely cake that we put some sparkler candles in. It almost made up for the fact that I didn’t see any fireworks on the 4th of July.

Before we all headed home on Sunday, we enjoyed scrambled eggs and bratwurst. We were in Wisconsin after all. It seemed appropriate.


I think I can speak for everyone when I say that by the time we went home, we were all dog-tired.

Ha ha ha...aren't I clever?

Comments

So much fun! We used to go up to Lake (Squaw Lake, near Deer River) all the time when we were growing up, and I really miss it!!

Popular posts from this blog

Report from the RNC

You Know He's the One When...

I Need a New Word for "Perfect"