Friday, February 29, 2008

Finally, an FO!

Last night, I skipped my Arabic Dance Class so I could spend some quality time with my cat and my yarn. Due to a surprise dinner date (yay!), I didn't get quite as much done as I thought I would. But, I did manage to finish up the Frog Hat. I call it that not because it looks like a frog but because it is going to go with the Frog Pacifier Clip I am making.

Here's the finished object:


Pattern: Simple Baby Hat 1 and Marley Topper from Itty Bitty Hats by Susan B. Anderson
Yarn Used: Rowan Handknit Cotton #219 Gooseberry, # 309 Celery, and #316 Slippery
Started: February 24th while sitting at Starbucks on Nicollet Mall before the Timberwolves game
Finished: February 29th in my cube, while eating Girl Scout Cookies

I had a question on Ravelry from someone asking me how I got my squiggles on top so curly and how I attached them. The directions for attachment seem a bit vague to me, so I just improvised. Here's a little step-by-step of my process.

Here are all the squiggles, completed and waiting to be attached.


First of all, I straighten it out, so it looks like a long line with the squiggles hanging down.

Then I take the first squiggle and make a circle of it.

And then attach that circle to the hat.


I repeat with the other two squiggles. The last squiggle, I make the circle tighter, since it will be on top.

I believe the instructions are to sew the squiggles together, making a large pom, and then attach them all at once. I prefer to attach them one at a time. Works for me.

As far as getting them curly: you really have to cast-on and bind-off the stitches very tightly. VERY tightly. It actually made my hands hurt last night, but I think they turned out great.

I'm so excited to have this done and I think it's so cute. That's the great thing about baby hats...they knit up quick and almost always look cute. Just like babies. The cute part, not the quick knitting part.

2 comments:

castingaway said...

Squee! I LOVE that!!! As I heard someone say the other day...its so sweet it makes my teeth hurt!

Ms. P said...

REALLY cute hat!! Love it!